Friday, October 19, 2018

Private Commission: "Still. Life" 04/17






"People have to do what they want to do..."

-J. Mascis




"Still. Life." Oil on Found Wood, by Private Commission 12 x 13  2017





This as a really fun privately commissioned project.  My customer had requested a painting to present as a wedding gift for two very close friends.  I was told the groom was a huge fan of the musician J. Mascis, of the band Dinosaur Jr., while the bride was a huge fan of Frida Kahlo.   The painting was to somehow feature both subjects.  And oh by the way, can the painting also include the marrying couple's two beloved pet kitties...???   But of course! 




Digging around in my stash of found wood to use, I came across this old 12 x 13 cabinet bottom that I'd grabbed off a curb many moons ago. Perfect...!



The shape of the cabinet bottom, with its little notches into the top two corners, allowed for some creative wire hangery....: 



Eye hooks placed in the notched corners for hanging wire






A fun project overall, which I heard was well received by the gift recipients (yay!).



"Still. Life", featuring J. Mascis and Frida Kahlo



.

No comments: