Sunday, March 27, 2011

March 2011 Nibblefest Art Contest: "Cube-y Ruby"



ACEO: "Cube-y Ruby" (click for auction link)





Yet another Nibblefest Art Contest rolls around (and ending today actually -- need to be more timely in my blog updates!)..., the theme for this month being 'Abstract'.

As much as I look forward to participating in this contest (every single) month, I do have to admit the theme of this one in particular had me dragging my feet ever just a little wee bit. It's not that I don't like abstract art -- I do, highly. Still, while I've personally dabbled in the genre over the years I guess it had been awhile, because I just wasn't sure at first exactly how I wanted to approach this theme. Ultimately I decided to try taking a stab at a few historic styles in Abstractionism, including Cubism -- and lo! In spite of myself I ended up enjoying my projects this time around far more than I was initially anticipating. So much so in fact I'm tempted to try my hand at more like this -- overall a good challenge for me and I do appreciate the mental exercise of breaking down a subject into its basic components of line, color and shape....

At any rate, here's my auction description (and I do wish you could see her in person -- this flat scan just really doesn't do her justice):

"Cube-y Ruby"

One of my ACEO entries for this month's Nibblefest Art Contest (NFAC), the theme for March being 'Abstract'.

Anyone even remotely familiar with my artwork will recognize this is a radical departure from my usual style...! When reflecting upon this month's theme, I thought about the various historical styles of Abstract art, and decided for fun to try my hand at a few of them. Using a portrait format (of a woman named 'Ruby'), this is my own personal interpretation of Cubism (the style often associated with the classic master, Picasso). It was very much an experiment for me, but I liked it...! (note the original is much more colorful and defined in person than demonstrated in this flat scan).....

Unique and one-of-a-kind, 'Life 'Cubey Ruby' would make a lovely addition to any ACEO art collection ....

ACEO's (or Art Cards, Editions and Originals) are small works of art that always come in 2.5" x 3.5" size (the same size as standard sports trading cards). ACEO's are fun to trade and make lovely gifts. They allow for the collecting of original artwork to be accessible by anyone.


....Nibblest is a monthly, themed art contest which begins on the 20th of each month. To see more fabulous art entries starting at a mere .99 cents, please search NFAC....

No comments: