Friday, February 3, 2012

Face 3 of the '29 Faces' Challenge: a Painted entitled 'Red Dress'


"Red Dress":  8 x 10 Original Painting





Years ago, I wrote in my blog about my own personal moratorium against purchasing new art supplies.   I explained how I felt we already have enough 'stuff' clogging up the world without me contributing to its excesses.  I rationalized how I already have at my disposal, thanks to my penchant for saving and hanging onto junk (AKA: Hoarding), PLENTY of material around here from which to make art.  And for whatever I don't have at hand but might need, I possess the creativity and skills to improvise and come up with non-commercial solutions and alternatives.... 

Well, some four years since that post, I'm happy to report that, for the most part, I'm still continuing to stick to my little personal moratorium.  Aside from a few small exceptions for some very basic elemental items, such as black and white paint (still have plenty of colors), Mod Podge, one stack of pre-cut aceo cards, gesso, and brushes, etc, I rarely ever find myself having to buy art supplies.  Take canvases for example.  For years now I've been building and preparing my own painting supports using second-hand picture frames that I acquire for very cheap, or even free.  And I have what must be a lifetime supply by now, thanks to a local charity rummage sale that gives me their end-of-sale leftovers.  At this rate I doubt I'll have to actually BUY another canvas ever again.

The following explains my painting-support-building process:

I have recently begun painting almost exclusively on supports I create myself utilising the old, salvaged wooden picture frames that cross my path from time to time (usually for free). I feel good about giving these unwanted homeless items a second life, not only because trees were cut down at some point to produce them, but also because by the time I get my hands on them they are usually destined for the landfill. The process of recycling these vintage frames into painting supports/canvases is a lengthy one, typically involving stabilizing the frames (which can be quite rickety), cutting thick paperboard to fit, securing it all and pasting and building up a painting surface with layers of overlapping scraps of paper. The end effect is a highly textured surface that adds dimension and depth to my paintings, complete with a built-in frame (onto which I often extend my painted images, incorporating the frames into the overall piece) into one cohesive, ready-to-hang whole....

Which brings me to the above Painting, 'Red Dress'.  I can't remember exactly when I started her, but it was many (many!) moons ago.   As you can see, the frame has been incorporated into the painting -- and therein I think is where I got a little stuck with this one, as I've played on and off with the background, proportions and details (getting her 'shoulders' to look right, etc etc) all this time.  But, finally, FINALLY today I put the finishing touches on her, including my signature, and am declaring 'Red Dress' done for once and for all...  Finis!  (and to be added soon to my Etsy shop)....

16 comments:

Ann Supan said...

Nice "Framing" idea...environment friendly too :)

Satina said...

Your use of materials makes this really unique, as well as it just being a beautiful piece!

caryn strauss-smith art and design said...

I love your art! It's a fabulous addition to the 29 Faces challenge.

Diane said...

She is beautiful, and yes, your use of the recycled materials makes her that more special--this whole art piece is exceptional--and your commitment to refrain from buying unneccesary art supplies--I have a BIG problem with this!!!

Unknown said...

I love how thw frame is part of the gorgeous picture!!

Cherie said...

Her face is mesmerizing to me, love her eyes! I am attracted to the colors of this piece, rich and comforting.

Cherie

Tina said...

I love the idea! We waste so much. The frame painting is beautiful and very clever. Patience you are always so inspiring. Love ya girl :^D

Maria Ontiveros said...

I love her! And so interesting to read about your frames/supports. I'm into my second year of a buying moratorium, and I still have more than enough supplies to last forever.
Rinda

Maggie said...

I love the symmetry of this piece, as well as the vivid colors. Good for you for your buying moratorium! It's amazing what we can do with what we already have :)

Angie said...

What a lovely face. Great colours too!

Anne said...

Lovely painting and well done on the art supplies. I love how you have incorporated the fame into your painting.

Patience said...

Thanks so much everybody for your wonderful and encouraging comments! I'm so enjoying hearing from all of you, such wonderful networking and it's very much appreciated. Thanks also for 'getting' me in regards to my philosophical ramblings here about what I'm hoping is my more 'environmentally-friendly' approach to creating art. It means a lot to me, because I don't always feel that I'm adept at making myself understood -- so thanks so much for all your affirmations....!

Unknown said...

VERY cool canvas building technique- I like your painting a LOT as well!

Melisa said...

Beautiful braids!

IrelandBrady said...

Beautiful! Reminds me of a stained glass window.

Patience said...

Thanks SO much, everybody -- really wonderful feedback! @ Melisa: indeed, The Braids...can't tell you how much I agonised over those, lol! Swear it took forever to get them 'right' ;-)

And I love the 'stained glass' comment -- thank you IrelandBrady. Stained glass has to be one of my most favourite things ever, so that's really a lovely complement for me! :-)