Sunday, June 17, 2012

Hiking at Turkey Run State Park....



 A Happy Father's Day today to all my fathered friends....!  

We will be spending the day with extended family (including my dad) -- dining out together, then gathering at my parents' house for dessert (I'm multitasking and making a Banana Cream Pie as I type!).  So it's promising to be an enjoyably busy day today -- always fun.  In fact, get-togethers with my extended family, lively bunch that they are, are ALWAYS guaranteed fun.  Case in point, here are some pictures from what we were all doing exactly a week ago today (to the minute!), when my kids and I spent the day hiking with family and friends at a beautiful state park just a little over an hour's drive from us.....


We were a group of eight....

It was a gorgeous sunny day, and perfect for hiking in a beautiful wooded setting.....

My own little corner of the U.S.A. isn't known for being particularly scenic.  No hills, no lakes, no rivers -- in fact it's fair to say it's downright geologically challenged....!  That's why we're lucky to have such lovely terrain accessible and not too terribly far from where we live (about an hour and quarter's drive).....

My daughter trying to NOT get her feet wet....

I love all the rocky ravines....

It was a warm and humid day, but relatively cool and pleasant in the canyon's shade.....

My son was easy to spot in his red shirt....

My nieces scrambling over cliffs (note they are dedicated workout queens and half marathoners who are in MUCH better shape for this sort of activity!)....

Lots of uphill hiking (huff puff)....

In all, a wonderful way to spend a sunny summer Sunday.....



Hiking up the creek bed made for slippery going at times -- happily no mishaps though!

A pretty little gurgling stream....

We opted for the designated 'rugged' trails, which included in some cases going up and down ladders.



Kind of freaky really -- just don't look down as you climb....!


There were also stairs on the trail.  Lots and lots and lots of stairs.....

More stairs, of stone.....

Navigating around big rocks....

As well as fallen logs (with my son hanging out on one)...

Hiking along the rock walls....


We haven't had our usual amount of rain this spring, so the river that runs through the park was quite low....




After hours of hiking, the sun is getting low in the sky....

We wrapped things up before leaving for home with a stop at an old, historical house that is park of the park complex  -- in any case, what a great way to spend the day....!




No comments: