Tuesday, May 29, 2012

Faces #28 and #29 of '29 Faces' -- WIP, But Challenge Completed!

WIP Art Journal Entry, as based on the story, 'Babette's Feast'

My Faces #28 and #29 of the '29 Faces' May Challenge.  Yay, I did it -- another whole month of Faces.....!

The above is my WIP guest art journal entry, as per my Student Art Journal Project.   I began this earlier in the month as a two-page horizontal spread as inspired by the story, 'Babette's Feast', but had only gotten as far as the portrait of Babette, on the left.  I have now included her two employers, an elderly pair of sisters, Martine and Philippa, on the right.  Martine and Philippa are Danish spinsters who are surprised to find the Frenchwoman, Babette, arrive on their doorstep one night.  A refugee from the French revolution, Babette seeks safe harbor.  The sisters, who live in simplicity in a remote village, are at first reluctant to take on a domestic servant, especially a stranger.  And yet over the years they grow to depend on Babette, while never asking questions about her mysterious past.  After many years they discover Babette's secret, that she is a chef of rare talent, when she uses her winnings in a lottery to put on a full-on French repast the likes of which the staid and conservative villagers have never before seen.  Here we see the sisters as they wait with some worry and trepidation about what they have agreed to accept -- just what exactly will this feast that Babette wishes to present to them entail....?  (I plan to add more detail later, so as of yet it's still a WIP -- but I'm posting it as is for now).....




8 comments:

Gina said...

Beautiful art and intriguing story...I feel that I should know this story, so I better read it :D Congratulations on completing the 29 faces challenge :D XXX

Quien es Nacima? said...

I like what it looks like so far! Can´t wait to see the finished piece...and just like Gina, maybe I should read the story too!

Diane said...

Your artwork is always so special, but even better with the story behind it....

denthe said...

I love your art journal entries and the lovely and intriguing stories that go with it. Great work!

Patience said...

Thanks so much, Gina! As for 'Babette's Feast' -- it was made into a film, which is really good and I very much recommend: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0092603/

It is a Danish-language film, but I'm pretty sure there are dubbed versions, and there are definitely sub-tilted versions (my preference) -- in any case, it's a really good movie, very light and entertaining :-)

And indeed, here's to completing the May '29 Faces' Challenge! I admit there were a few times I wondered if I was actually going to make it (just a busy month all around)-- but, I managed! ;-) And good job to you as well :-)

All my best, Gina!

~Patience

Patience said...

Thanks so much Quien es Nacima :-) ! Pleasure to hear from and meet you -- I just went over and perused your blog and your lovely 29 Faces -- it really was a fun challenge, no? :-) I so appreciated the friendly atmosphere created by all the participants, and it's always fascinating to view all the many different approaches and styles of all the artists :-). As for the story, Babette's Feast -- as I mentioned to Gina, I really recommend the film. Just a really sweet little movie...! And thanks again!

Patience said...

Thanks so much, Diane! I must admit I can be a very fickle and temperamental artist. Whatever I do HAS to have personal meaningfulness for myself in SOME way (even if I have to stretch it) or I lose interest mighty fast. And if I don't like or am not 'into' a project, then the creative project is like pulling teeth! So there is almost always a little 'story' behind everything I do -- helps to keep me engaged, and I'm just really grateful to have this blog as an outlet to be able to express all that, heh.....! In any case, thanks so much Diane -- most especially for actually reading....! :-D

Patience said...

Thanks so much for the comment and the kind words, Denthe -- really appreciate your taking the time to write, and please do stop by again soon.....! :-)