Monday, October 17, 2011

RedWood - by Patience for the 11th annual "Ripped Off" EBSQ Art Exhibit






'RedWood', my 2nd entry into EBSQ's 'Ripped Off' exhibit




I was able to finish and upload this 'Ripped Off" EBSQ show entry this past weekend -- a fun project and very enjoyable for the opportunity to partner up with my buddy, Tina Calderin. (Thanks, Tina!)...




Side View, demonstrating the painted frame....





My "RIPPED OFF"  inspiration:  "Wood Nymph", by Tina Cart





My accompanying artist's statement:


My partner for my second entry into this year's RIPPED-OFF exhibit was the wonderful pastel artist and painter, Tina Calderin, of GalleryT....

So many lovely pieces to choose from in Tina's EBSQ portfolio, but I finally decided upon her painting, 'Wood Nymph', to RIP, attracted as I was to her flowing, flaming hair and captivating blue eyes, but also to the intriguing way in which Tina painted a floral arched 'frame' as part of her painting's background...

I have recently begun painting almost exclusively on supports I create myself utilizing the old, salvaged wooden picture frames that cross my path from time to time (usually for free). I feel good about giving these unwanted homeless items a second life, not only because trees were cut down at some point to produce them, but also because by the time I get my hands on them they are usually destined for the landfill. The process of recycling these vintage frames into painting supports/canvases is a lengthy one, typically involving stabilizing the frames (which can be quite rickety), cutting thick paperboard to fit, securing it all and pasting and building up a painting surface with layers of overlapping scraps of paper. The end effect is a highly textured surface that adds dimension and depth to my paintings, complete with a built-in frame (onto which I often extend my painted images, incorporating the frames into the overall piece) into one cohesive, ready-to-hang whole....

Interpreting Tina's 'Wood Nymph', I used one of these hand-constructed, repuposed framed painting supports as my canvas, concentrating on her subject's beautiful hair color, cascading waves and serene expression, while including my own version of a painted floral frame using the same hues as Tina's (including her bold red background).....

No comments: