Monday, October 24, 2016

New Henry David Thoreau Tribute for Oct's Nibblefest Art Contest "PUMPKINS" Theme






"I would rather sit on a pumpkin
and have it all to myself, 
than to be crowded on a velvet cushion...."

~Henry David Thoreau




7.5 x 9.5, "Thoreau, Pumpkin Sitter", painted in oils for Oct's Nibblefest Art Contest






Several months have come and gone since I last entered the Nibblefest Art Contest.  I never intentionally blow it off, and for so long -- but often time does just get the best of me, as it did this long (though it actually seemed so short!) and mega-busy summer.  No matter, it's always there for me to come back to whenever I can...., which I finally did this month with its "Pumpkins" theme.  What better way to celebrate 'Pumpkins' than with these wise words by the venerable Mr. Henry David Thoreau?  As a person who tries to practice Voluntary Simplicity whenever I can in my own life, I can so relate to this quote.  Thus we have here my little personal homage, as always painted in loving (if slightly irreverent) tribute:



Side View




I had the perfect plaque for this, one that I dug deep out of storage -- an aged one, of slightly weathered wood.  I had to scrape off some faded, generic print that was hopelessly stuck to it, sanding it down to a smooth finish.  The slightly rough condition  seemed most fitting for this project -- I wanted a folksy feel -- plus in the spirit of Simplicity I tried to use minimal paint and really let the grain show through....






  Longtime readers might recall this portrait I painted from a few years back, for Nibblefest's "Forest Creatures" theme in August of 2014:



Portrait of H.D.Thoreau, August 2014


 It's been nearly exactly two years since that one so I figured the time was nigh for another visit to that fascinating face.   
So much expression in those expansive eyes....:


Mr. Henry David Thoreau


 RIP, Mr. Henry D.




"Thoreau, Pumpkin Sitter"









UPDATE~UPDATE:



Third Place Tie







My Thoreau tribute tied for Third Place in this month's Nibblefest Art Contest!
A big shout out of thanks to all my lovely bidders....!









No comments: