Friday, February 10, 2017

My Kafka Tribute for EBSQ's January Exhibit Theme: 'Metamorphosis'





"I cannot make you understand.
I cannot make anyone understand what is happening inside me.
I cannot even explain it to myself..."


~Franz Kafka, "The Metamorphosis"











I entered the EBSQ "Metamorphosis" exhibit with this little tribute portrait of Franz Kafka -- because please, "Metamorphosis"...?

 .
What else could it possibly be but Kafka...?

.

'Metamorphosis' In-Progress Photo

The following is my statement over at EBSQ:

 .
 
My entry for the "Metamorphosis" exhibit features a small portrait painted in tribute to Mr. Franz Kafka, author of the 1915 novella, "The Metamorphosis".  Mr. Kafka gazes steadily out to us, his head held protectively within the pinchers of an extraordinary fantasy insect. 

When contemplating a subject for this month's theme, but of course this classic tome was one of the first things to come to mind.  For many of us, myself included, "The Metamorphosis" was required reading in school -- a tale of woe about a young man who unwillingly and inexplicably metamorphosizes into a huge and fearsome-looking insect, and how this unusual and unfortunate circumstance negatively impacts his life, as well as the lives of his family, who go on to ultimately reject him in his given state.  Throughout his long and drawn-out ordeal, the young man/insect is stuck within his house, unable to leave the four walls of his room for fear of public reaction to his condition. Hence I felt this little segment of found, wooden picket fencing that I used for my painting support an especially good fit for this project, being as that it is rather "house shaped" at that.  And while I don't want to include any spoilers of the story here to those who haven't read it, suffice it to say the protagonist does not come to a good end by the last chapter of the book, hence we have as part of the insect's body a wee painted skull. 

So let this be a warning to all, shall we....?  Please try not to transform randomly while sleeping into big creepy insects, if you can at all avoid it.....
.......




UPDATE ~UPDATE


Happy to say that my entry won "Member's Choice" (1st Place) in the 'Metamorphosis' show, yay!  This involves a cash prize -- thanks so much, EBSQ...!   (Plus I have plans to hang this locally, at a cafe here in town that has put out the call for original art).  


No comments: