Tuesday, May 15, 2012

Face #12 of the '29 Faces' May Challenge: Guest Art Journal Entry, "To Kill A Mocking Bird"

My guest entry in my student's Art Journal, as based on the classic book, "To Kill A Mockingbird"....

Day 15 of the '29 Faces' May Challenge, but thanks to aforementioned technical difficulties I am behind in my posting.  I will be posting double time to catch up, starting with this entry......

What a relief to once again have a functioning computer!  Since my previous computer's cooling element decided to fizzle out, it was rendered pretty much unusable -- however, thanks to my IT professional spouse, and some shuffling around of the family computers, I now have a 'new' (well, to me anyway) laptop all properly set up again for my personal use.  It is different from my other one though, with little things in different places, and all matter of small stuff to re-learn and get used to -- when the truth of the matter is, I hate change....!  But oh well, just a matter of sorting it all  out -- I'm simply grateful we are lucky enough to have several of these around the house to commandeer when the need arises.  Now, I only just need to catch up on all things internet.

As such, I am posting here my Face for Day 12 of the Challenge (even though it's officially Day 15).  As I've written about in previous posts,  I initiated a long-term project with my art students, whereby we made homemade, DIY art journals, and worked in them throughout the year.  This past week I embarked on a project to create a guest entry into each one of my students' journals -- and so we have here a two-page vertical spread I painted for a student for whom I read aloud the first chapter of "To Kill A Mockingbird" when I was subbing for another instructor during his literature class.  A great American classic, "To Kill A Mockingbird" has to be one of my all time favorite tales.  I can still clearly remember first reading it myself when I was about his age, and so I felt the short time I spent with his class enough of a connection to do for him a piece inspired by the story.  

As anyone who has read the book may recognize, here we have the scene where Scout and her brother, Jem, have been discovering small trinkets and curios in the knothole of a tree  near  their house -- funny little 'gifts' apparently left there for them by some anonymous source.  One day they are surprised to find wee hand-carved, primitive figurines left in the knot-hole, a male and a female, complete with distinguishing features and details for which they can come to but one conclusion:  the little figures represent themselves.



No comments: