Tuesday, May 29, 2012

Faces #24 and #25 of 29 Faces: Another Guest Art Journal Entry Based on 'To Kill a Mockingbird'.....

Guest art journal entry, "Calpurnia and Scout", as inspired by the book 'To Kill a Mockingbird"

Today is the 29th of May.  As such, we are already at the end of the '29 Faces' May Challenge!  I am reeling to think of how quickly the month flew by.  Still, despite all the busy-ness, I am happy to report that I have mostly kept up with the challenge -- if not daily, at least in 'chunks'.  I will be posting the last of my 29 Faces tonight, and declaring my end of the Challenge officially at a close. 

And so above we have my Faces #24 and #25, as painted in another one of my student's art journals, as per my Student Art Journal Project.  For this student I painted a two page horizontal spread, my second guest entry based on the book 'To Kill a Mockingbird' (my first one for a different student was here)....

As I've mentioned before, "To Kill a Mockingbird" has to be one of my favorite books ever. Of the things that have always attracted me to the story, in addition to its absorbing plot, are its rich characters.  Among these include the youthful main protagonist, Jean Louise Finch, also known as 'Scout, and Calpurnia, her father's hired African American housekeeper (a la, 'The Help').  Her own mother having died when she was very young, Scout's primary mother figure is Calpurnia, known affectionately as 'Cal' to Scout and her brother, Jem.  Being raised by a sensitive and loving yet somewhat distracted single father, Calpurnia provides much guidance, discipline and authority to the children.  She does punish when she feels she has to, such as the time Jem invites an underprivileged classmate of Scout's home for lunch.  When Scout audibly expresses her disgust at this boy, who, in his enthusiasm at being presented a jar of syrup at the table, an apparently rare and delicious treat for him, proceeds to pour it all over his plate of food, Calpurnia gives Scout the the sound scolding she ddeserves  for having been rude to her guest.  And yet there is a very strong and lasting bond between the two.....

No comments: