Wednesday, May 23, 2012

NIbblefest Art Contest: My Faces #17 & #18, "Moths to Flame"

"Moths to Flame", 3.5 x 8 painting
One of my four Nibblefest entries, entitled "Moths to Flame".....

The Nibblefest Art Contest rolls around yet again!  (Nibblefest being the fun and friendly, monthly themed art competition hosted via Ebay).  I got all hung up regarding the theme this month, indecisively puttering and plodding along, and ending up missing the official start day on the 20th.  I kept on working though, and have since been able to join the contest with 5 day auctions (thank goodness for that 2nd chance option!). The following is my "Moths to Flame" auction description:

"....This month's Nibblefest theme, 'The Elements', was quite different than usual.  Being as that there are four classical elements (Fire, Water, Earth, Air), we were allowed to enter a total of four pieces rather than the usual limit of three, provided that each pertained to a separate element.  This is my entry for 'Fire'.

When contemplating 'Fire', it brought to mind my own children.  When my kids were small, they were absolutely fascinated with fire.  Camp fires, cookouts, the gas stove, birthday candles -- ALL of it attracted my children, as I used to say, 'like moths to flame'.  And they could never seem to resist 'experimenting'.  For years  I would be given nice scented candles as gifts, but never felt comfortable burning them around the house because I knew in short order my kids would show up....to huff and puff upon the flame, to poke their little fingers into the melted wax, or tilt the candle to make the wax run or the flame flicker.  It was enough to drive me bananas!  I was just afraid they might hurt themselves.  Happily nowadays they are WELL over that particular stage in life, but I will never forget those long years of my own two little "moths"....."


It's true -- my dear son especially was a little (ok, a lot!) obsessed with fire when he was a youngster.  Not in an pathologically unhealthy way necessary...., but definitely in a drive-your-mama-crazy sort of way.  Let's just say that an ordinary campfire could keep him occupied and entertained for HOURS, heh.  (And I was always so bemused and jealous when I went to friends' homes and they had their scented candles lit and glowing while their own kids remained blissfully disinterested....!)....

In any case, I did streamline things this month by overlapping '29 May Faces', with 'Elements'.  Works for me....! 

(To see the four of MY Nibblefest entries, click here.  To see ALL of the Nibblefest 'Element' entries as entered this month, click hereNibblefest Art Contest: fine art starting at just .99 cents!)...

2 comments:

zoe said...

beautiful moths :)

Patience said...

Thanks so much, Zoe! I guess they are sort of Cecropia hybrids of some kind? ;-) -- always have thought of cecropia moths as very beautiful....